Arnison Estate Agents
Impartial. Informed. Assured.
Expert representation for over 150 years.
Appleby: 01768 351591
Penrith: 01768 862007

Care Funding

Whether you need care in your own home or in a care home you will need to pay for it unless your assets are such that you can pass a means test. Adult Social Care (a department of Cumbria County Council) will carry out a means tested assessment to decide whether you should fund the care yourself (known as self-funding’) or whether you are eligible to receive state funding.

If you receive Direct Payments and your needs are sufficient you might qualify for state funding even if you are classed as self-funding.

If Adult Social Care is involved in arranging care services they are responsible for paying the fees. They will then recover these from those assessed as self-funding.

In certain circumstances the NHS is liable to fund the cost of care and this is not means tested. Please see the section on NHS Continuing Healthcare.

We can help you determine whether or not you may be eligible to receive Local Authority Funding. If you do not qualify we can help you to explore alternative ways to fund the cost of care.

We can give you advice on the following areas:

  • Dealing with Adult Social Care
  • Treatment of your home
  • Rules on deprivation of capital
  • Alternative for funding the cost of care.
Opening Hours
  Penrith Office Appleby Office
Monday 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm
Tuesday 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm
Friday 9am - 5pm 9am - 5pm
Saturday Pre-arranged appts only CLOSED
Please note Saturday opening is by appointment only. We are also willing to meet with you outside of these hours or to arrange home visits by prior arrangement.