Road Traffic Offences
We will undertake road traffic cases that are listed as a single hearing in the Magistrates Court for a fixed fee of £300 plus VAT and disbursements. We will, in advance, agree a fixed fee with the legal representative that will cover your hearing at court on our behalf (‘our agent’) usually at a fixed fee of £300 plus VAT. The fee for the agent can differ between courts, so we will let you know immediately if this figure is higher so you know exactly what you will be paying.
What does our fixed fee include?
- Considering the evidence available.
- Advising whether you may be eligible for Legal Aid.
- Requesting a copy of the IPDC (prosecution evidence) prior to the hearing from the Crown Prosecution Service.
- Taking your detailed instructions.
- Explanation of the sentencing options open to the court and, where possible, we will tell you the sentence we expect to be handed down by the court.
- Advice on how best to mitigate your position in order to try and keep the sentence imposed by the court to a minimum.
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing in the Magistrates Court by an agent local to the court to where you have been summonsed.
What does our fee not include?
- Cases where you have pleaded not guilty and the matter is to proceed to trial or a Newton Hearing (trial of the issue(s) in dispute) in the Magistrates or Crown Court.
- Instructing an expert witness.
- Taking statements from any witnesses.
- Advice and assistance for a ‘special reasons’ or ‘exceptional hardship’ hearings.
- Advice and assistance in relation to any appeal to the Crown Court.
- Disbursements – disbursements are fees charged by third party agents which we pay on your behalf. We do not make a profit on disbursements, we only charge you the actual cost we have paid for the expenditure, agreed by you in advance.
Key stages to your matter:
- Discussion in person or over the telephone so you can provide detailed instructions about your case.
- We will consider the initial disclosure of the prosecution evidence, when available.
- We will arrange to take witness statements, if necessary (this will have an additional cost of £100 plus VAT per statement).
- We will explain the court procedure so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work and obtain further instructions from you, if necessary.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place as this depends on how many other cases are listed at court for that day.
- Our agent will meet with you before going in to court. We anticipate that you will be at court for about half a day but please be prepared to be there for a full day as we have no way of knowing how the court list will proceed during the day.
- Our agent will discuss the outcome of the hearing with you and give their initial verbal advice as to whether an appeal to the Crown Court would be successful. If written and detailed advice is required, this will be carried out at an additional cost.
If your case proceeds to trial or a trial of the issue(s) in the Magistrates Court:
- The cost of representation will depend on how long the case is listed for and will be charged on an hourly rate basis, details of which can be found in our Terms and Conditions here on the website.
- If you are successful at trial then the court may award a Defence Costs Order ("DCO"). You should be aware that even with the award of a DCO by the court, your defence costs may not be met in full.