How it all began

We are proud of our beautiful Georgian offices in Penrith. Although the building has been around since 1750, our records begin in 1852. During its lifetime, the building has been occupied by a wealthy family of leather workers, the Hindsons, and then a highly respected surgeon, Thomas Law. After this it was divided into three and became a boarding house. In 1884 it was sold to Mr Charles Arnison.

Arnison

Early to Mid 1800s

Nathan Arnison

Nathan Arnison (1795-1896) was a farmer’s son, born at Harescough, Renwick and in 1823 he settled in Penrith as a linen and woolen draper. Two of his sons, George & Thomas, joined him in the firm N. Arnison & Sons in Penrith, another son set up Arnison & Co drapers in Sheffield and two other sons William Burra and Charles Nathan practiced at Arnison & Co Solicitors in Penrith.

Mid to Late 1800s

William Burra Arnison

William Burra Arnison, having served his articles with Atkinson and Harrison Solicitors, Penrith was admitted to the roll in 1852 and at once commenced practice in Penrith on his own account. His younger brother Charles Nathan served his articles with him and in 1863 was admitted to the roll. Arnison & Co at that time practiced from an office in Devonshire Street, part of the premises of N Arnison & Sons, the drapers (next to the Woolpack pub), but in 1884 moved to larger premises in 1 St Andrew’s Place which had belonged to the Law family from Brampton.

William Burra Arnison died in September 1896 without any male offspring and younger brother Charles Nathan Arnison took over responsibility of all the public appointments.

Late 1800s to Early 1900s

Charles Nathan Arnison

Charles Nathan Arnison had three sons, two of which qualified as solicitors. Nathan Henry and Charles in their turn joined their father in Arnison & Co. Nathan Henry Arnison qualified in 1895 and Charles Arnison qualified in 1897.

Between 1911 and 1920 the practice ran with brothers Nathan Henry and Charles in charge and they were joined by Charles’ eldest son Charles Eric Arnison in 1932.

Mid 1900s

Thomas Mitchell Arnison

In 1935 Charles’ second son Thomas Mitchell Arnison qualified and subsequently joined Arnison & Co which was now run by four Arnison solicitors, but only ran on that basis until the 2nd World War broke out in 1939.
Thomas Mitchell Arnison joined the 6th Battalion of the Border Regiment TA and unfortunately during the course of hostilities was made a prisoner of war. He rejoined Arnison & Co after the war on his return to Cumbria.

Charles Arnison died in 1948 followed by his brother Nathan Henry Arnison in 1959 which left Charles Eric Arnison and Thomas Mitchell Arnison running the practice.

1960 to 2010

In 1962 Arnison & Co appointed the first non family partner Tim Strevens followed by John Ryder in 1965.

Charles Eric Arnison’s son, Charles Robert qualified in 1965 and joined Arnison & Co in 1970.

Thomas Mitchell Arnison died in 1989 and Charles Eric Arnison in 1992 at the age of 91 and still practising – he never retired.

Charles Robert Arnison retired in 2001, the last Arnison of Arnison & Co. Sadly he died in 2007 aged 64.

2011 to Present

In September 2011 Arnison & Co Solicitors in Penrith merged with Heelis Solicitors in Appleby, uniting two well-established firms with deep roots in the local area and long histories of serving their communities.  That local knowledge and expertise has ensured that our team continue to carry on the legacy that both firms have built over generations.

Heelis

Origins and the Heelis Family

The Heelis Family

The Heelis family were a long-established Westmorland family who originally worked as land agents and solicitors. They served many prominent clients, including the Earls of Thanet, members of the clergy, and local landowners.

Well known in the area, the family lived at Battlebarrow House in Appleby. In 1885, brothers Edward Alexander and George Herbert Heelis established Heelis Solicitors which later became the firm E & E A Heelis.  Edward Alexander Heelis also served as Mayor of Appleby-in-Westmorland from 1913 to 1920.

William Heelis & Beatrix Potter

Their brother, William Heelis, also a solicitor, went on to marry the celebrated author and illustrator Beatrix Potter in 1913. Through this marriage, the Heelis family became linked to one of the most beloved literary figures of the time. William continued his legal practice while also supporting Beatrix in her work as a farmer and conservationist in the Lake District, where together they played a key role in preserving large areas of land that would later form part of the National Trust estate.

The Firm and Building

The Firm & Building

The firm’s offices were originally located at 33 Chapel Street, Appleby-in-Westmorland. This early 19th-century building, thought to have been constructed around 1812, was purpose-built for legal practice under the partnership Briggs, Hall and Heelis.

Today

Merger and Today

In 2011, the long-established firm Heelis Solicitors of Appleby-in-Westmorland merged with Arnison & Company Solicitors of Penrith to form Arnison Heelis Solicitors. This merger united two historic Cumbrian practices, each with deep roots in their respective communities. The Appleby office has now found its home at 7 Boroughgate, continuing the firm’s long tradition of providing legal services in the town. By combining their traditions of legal service, the new firm carried forward a shared legacy of professionalism and local commitment, ensuring that the historic name of Heelis remained an important part of the region’s legal landscape.